Toa Payoh Methodist Church originated from a combined missions outreach project between the Wesley Methodist Church and St Andrew’s Cathedral in 1968. The outreach project started as a free clinic at Block 109, Lorong 1, Toa Payoh. This provided opportunities to share the Gospel with patients who came for treatment. Rev Michael Wong, who was a pastor at Wesley Methodist Church, conducted the first worship service in 1969 with 12 non-Christian patients. With the closing down of the clinic in late 1969, the congregation comprising new converts and some Christians from other Methodist Churches, moved to a shop house at Block 4, Lorong 7 Toa Payoh. In the following year, Rev Michael Wong was officially appointed as the full-time pioneer work pastor.
In 1971, a tender was made for a piece of land in Toa Payoh for the construction of the church. By God’s grace, the Lord gave the church the ground that she is standing on today. The church was completed in 1973 after 19 months of construction.
The Church became a Local Conference in 1977 with 296 members. Today, she has grown to a membership of nearly 1000. The church is undergoing a significant milestone during this season. The Lord has led her into a season of redevelopment, not just in the physical building but also in the spiritual. Over the last two years, there has been a greater understanding of the work of the Holy Spirit.